L.A. Institute for Restorative Practices
We are a grassroots restorative justice agency, which focuses on providing support and the tools necessary to help our communities move towards healing and restorative practices. Our agency comes with a diverse group of trained Para- professionals who possess extensive life and academic experience in urban-community violence. Our modality stems from restorative justice, where the chief focus is healing harm and maintaining peaceful communal agreements. LAIRP provides free mediation, restorative justice conferencing, community and school violence interruption, gang violence interruption, and victim assistance. Our goal is to reach peace by peaceful means.
- Forensic Case Management
- Restorative Justice Conferencing
- School Discipline Suspension & Expulsion Consultation
- Professional Development & Trainings
- Victim Assistance (After a violent incident)
- Violence Interruption/Crisis Response
Charter School Culture and Discipline
LAIRP assists charter school leaders with the development of non-punitive discipline practices. LAIRP helps school leaders restoratively meditate student conflict by developing un-biased restorative conferences equipped with strong meaningful agreements. Additionally, LAIRP helps school administration build a strong restorative school culture.
- High Drug Distribution/ Marijuana use.
- Hate Crimes
- Gang Intervention
- Positive Behavior Intervention Support (PBIS)
- Safe Passage (Development of school restorative safety zone)
- Racial animosity
- Restorative Justice Leadership Program
- Restorative Justice Conferencing
- LAUSD Restorative Justice comprehensive alignment
- Teacher Training
Forensic Case Management
LAIRP Case Managers are individuals who are trained forensic psychologists or individuals who have extensive experience in related social sciences with a B.A. or B.S. degree or higher. All individuals have extensive experience with the targeted population.
FCM work closely with individuals to identify stressors and potential risk. FCM helps establish reachable short and long term goals. Short-term goals will revolve around the individual’s educational status, and immediate social living alternatives. Long-term goals will focus on the individual’s ability to reduce deviant associations and related behavior.
As an additional source of support, FCM will work closely with a Certified Gang Interventionist to provide the most effective practices and individual recommendations for each unique situation.
LAIRP Restorative Justice Conference
During a restorative conference multiple themes arise such as family conflict, sexual trauma, physical abuse, and attachment trauma. Therefore, operating through a trauma focused sensitive modality is vital in order to support an already traumatized youth. A restorative conference is a scripted process that allows all parties to participate in repairing the harm by sharing their story. This allows the healing process of restoration to permeate the conference climate and provides the space for compassion and re-integrative shame to unfold.
Crisis intervention is a proven effective method that is used by trained advocates to assist individuals who have been victimized or have experienced a traumatic event. The purpose of providing crisis intervention is to allow the victim to begin regaining the control that was lost as a result of their victimization.
Crisis intervention entails two simple yet crucial actions: witnessing and discussing the incident. This includes but is not limited to: assessing the victim’s safety and creating safety plans, normalizing the victims’ emotions, assessing basic needs such as clothing, food and shelter, and informing the victim about the investigative and judicial process.
Victim Assistance Program provides crisis intervention in a variety of ways:
Crime scene response
During these very highly emotional situations, an advocate is extremely important to help alleviate some of the victim’s emotional concerns and questions. LAIRP advocates are trained to help to suppress rumors, which can potentially compromise peaceful outcomes. LAIRP advocates are trained to help the victim in collaboration with law enforcement. LAIRP advocates are there to assist and render emotional support, insight about the police and investigative process, act as a liaison with the police and provide crisis comfort.
Follow Up Services
- Mental Health Referral
- Hospital Assistance
- Social Service Referral
- Victim Assistance Referral
- Crisis Counseling
- Restorative Conferences
Community-based gang intervention
Community-based gang intervention is comprised of a variety of activities that focus on and engage active and former gang members, their close associates, and gang members in and returning from confinement. Gang involved youth and their families require specialized intensive and comprehensive services that address the unique issues encountered by youth when they become involved with gangs. Therefore, specific protocols and procedures must be developed and existing services be modified to address the need for more intensive and comprehensive gang intervention services.
Trainings and Professional Developments
Facilitating Restorative Conferences Certification 2 Day Training (IIRP Model and Certification)
- Restorative conferences allow those who have been most affected by an incident to share their feelings, describe how they have been affected and develop a plan to repair the harm done and prevent recurrence. The process is useful for K-12 schools, criminal justice, higher education and workplaces.
Introduction to Restorative Practices For the Teacher
- Explore RJ model and its application to classroom discipline and culture
- Explore Restorative Practices Fundamentals Elements
- Restorative Team Building
- Role Play
- Non- violent de-escalation
K-12 Student Investigations
- Student Due Process Law
- Searches and Seizures
- Narcotic Investigations
- Processing Evidence
Parenting Educational Services
- Parenting techniques for specialized population (i.e. at-risk, detained and gang involved)
Sensitivity Training for Specialized Population
- Training of individuals who provide services to specialized populations (i.e. homeless, at-risk, gang involved, and those with mental health disorders)
Self-Care Educational Seminar
- Psych-education of individuals who provide social services and have high rate of burnout